Click the blue links to go to the product
1. Change half the water in your pond to fresh, remember to use our water ager for tap water instantly takes chlorine & other toxic chemicals out of your tap water. Dose can be added while filling or when you start. Not After you finish.
2. Remove all debris from the bottom of your pond with a large net or pond vac.
3. Cut back/remove dying plant matter in and around the pond. Don't repot plants till spring.
4. Net the pond to prevent leaves & branches polluting the pond water & to keep predatory birds out.
5. Don't clean the filter and do a water change the same week, do the water change first.
6. If you intend to use Algae killer or Clear Water clean the filter the week after. If you have a ultra violet steriliser clean the glass Tube the light is housed in.
7. Clear water binds particles floating in your pond water together so when they pass through the filter because they are bigger they stay there, within hours to days your pond water will be crystal clear. Clean the filter after the pond water has cleared. Clear Water is safe for fish & plants in the correct dose.
8. Algae Killer kills the free floating algae spores in you pond water, within a week you pond water will be crystal clear, even if the pond water was like pea soup. Algae killer will not remove the algae that grows on the floor or sides of the pond, that is part of the natural environment and provides microscopic food for the inhabitants of the pond. Clean the filter after the algae is gone and the water is clear. Algae Killer is safe for fish & plants in the correct dose.
If algae is a constant problem, you may need to put up a shade sail or Buy one of our UV lights, this is a permanent solution to Algae problems, as the water passes through the UV sleeve, the ultraviolet light kills the algae spores. This means no more algae. You do need to replace the UV Light tubes yearly.
9. In winter much of your good bacteria dies, and this makes the environment in the pond become unstable, This can result in sick fish, susceptible to diseases & parasites to prevent this use a pond block till spring.
Pond block release a constant supply of good bacteria, which eliminates the build up of deadly toxins and acid water.
10. Salt the pond, salt naturally builds up body slime on fish and gives them protection against bacterial infections. Dose 1kg of pool salt to every 2000 ltrs of pond water. Pour in where the filter return water is, straight from the measuring container. Do this once a year every Autumn.
Feeding your koi & goldfish from Autumn to Winter
koi or goldfish in your pond, are poikilothermic, “cold-blooded.” Their internal temperature varies with the ambient external temperature. So in the wintertime when your pond’s water cools, the body temperatures of your fish cool, too. And with that dip in body temperature comes a reduced need for nutrients.
Our wheat germ-based diet is designed to transition your pond fish from eating a high-protein, high-energy diet, to fuel their active underwater lifestyles – to their winter period of metabolic inactivity.
The Wheat germ we sell, is high in carbohydrate-based nutrients, packed with natural vegetable proteins and designed to provide your pond fish with the immune-system boosting vitamins and minerals to get them through the winter.
Wheat germ requires less energy to digest, so its perfect to ease the fish into or out of the colder months.
Time to Switch!
start transitioning your pond fish to the wheat germ-based diet in Autumn, when the water temperature starts to cool, feed your fish a mixture of the wheat germ & the normal food you feed, gradually increasing the wheat germ and decreasing your other food until you’re feeding 100 percent of the wheat germ food.
Where ever you live in Australia Wheat germ can be added without causing any harm to the fish ready for the inevitable drop in temperature.
Only start to feed the koi and goldfish a higher protein pellet again when the weather turns warmer again, add a little of the protein to the wheat germ as the water temperature goes up.
FREE thermometer with any online Australian or Hikari wheat germ purchase one per customer. Enter the word switch in comments area at checkout
Having a thermometer in your pond can alert you to very high temperatures (less available oxygen) prompting a water change and very low temperatures cut back on the food. Simply enter the word switch in comment area at checkout to receive your FREE thermometer.
Once the temperature in the pond is below 5 degrees Celsius you should stop feeding your fish
Windsor fish hatchery breeding and selling fish & goods since 1984, Online since 2012